Calling, Craft, & Creativity: A Technical Training
This is an immersive residential training designed to foster inspired teaching rooted in technical excellence. Offered over ten days, this unique 100-hour program will shine light on often overlooked aspects of the teaching practice that can make a good class great, and a great class feel like pure magic.
This training is produced by Octopus Garden Yoga Centre and it grows out of a long-standing formal mentorship program. It compresses six months of material into ten efficient days that will breathe new life into your teaching career.
Who is this training for?
Open to certified yoga instructors who are deeply committed to the craft of teaching and are ready to lead students with renewed creativity and confidence. Participants can expect to: deepen their self-awareness and capacity for accurate self-assessment; deconstruct poor teaching habits; move past teaching ruts and plateaus; and uncover authentic teaching voices that speak powerfully to students. You will return home with renewed energy and purpose and a greater capacity to change lives.
What is this training about?
We start from the premise that the only thing more important than what you say is how you say it. This training is not a comprehensive teacher training in that it doesn’t explicitly cover what to teach. Instead, this training covers the nuts and bolts of how to teach. It will allow you to communicate what you’ve learned in previous trainings with greater ease and virtuosity.
Our syllabus includes (but is not limited to) the following modules:
- taking the seat of the teacher and fearless teaching
- effective cueing
- word selection and the poetry of yoga
- tone and inflection, authentic voice, and vocal training
- theme, intention and story-telling
- organic sequencing: peak poses, asana Rx, and how to close the circle
- vinyasa krama and the art of keeping time
- the yoga of sound: yoga playlists, chanting and harmonium 101
- impeccable demos: mirror demos, smart staging and powerful postural presence
- teaching stand-out studio auditions
- self-care rituals
Our program will invite you into:
- conversations that reveal the thoughts and emotions that guide you
- creative exercises that open your imagination to the future
- self-reflection that allows you to hear your inner voice
Each day will open with yoga asana and end with satsang. Expect lots of diagnostic and engaged learning exercises, as well as daily opportunities for focused practice teaching.
Where and when will the training happen?
We will be hosted by Lotus Heart Centre in Brighton, Ontario between July 17 and 26, 2017. This venue was chosen for its sheer comfort, outstanding kitchen, and ability to support our focused curriculum.
Arrive between 4-5 pm on the first day for dinner and an evening satsang. Depart by 3 pm on the final day.
What is included?
- 100 training hours (85 contact hours)
- Accommodation and meals
- Course materials
This training is eligible for Yoga Alliance continuing education credits.
What is not included?
Transportation (though I can help you find a ride)
What are my tuition options?
- Shared accommodation: $2150 + HST
- Single accommodation: $2450 + HST
$500 non-refundable deposit required to hold your spot. Payment may be made by personal cheque or Interac email transfer.
Download the application form and submit your completed application to email@example.com. Please note that we have a rolling admissions policy. The application window will close when all spots are filled.