Learn how to support women through mindful, evidence-based yoga practices for pregnancy, birth, and beyond. Nicky Poole is a highly sought after Pre- and Post- Natal specialist in Toronto who facilitates trainings that weave together science and soul. This training is essential for any yoga teacher or movement specialist who works with women and wants to learn how to hold space in a compassionate and educated way.
This training is supported and co-taught by Michelle Fraser, Pelvic Floor Physiotherapist, and Jennifer Helland, Yoga teacher and Holistic Nutritionist.
Who will benefit from this training?
Anyone who teaches and works with women at any stage of their life cycle will benefit from the knowledge shared in this program. This training is open to movement and yoga teachers who have completed a 200-hour certification, body therapists, birth professionals and people interested in supporting women through this special time in their lives.
What skills will I learn during the program?
- The syllabus is integrative in its focus and includes optimal alignment in yoga postures, changes to the body systems during pregnancy, labour and delivery, specific therapeutic and strengthening movement techniques, adaptive yoga techniques, breathing tools, trauma-sensitive practices, energetic alignment and embodiment, anatomy, nutrition, and meditation techniques for birth preparation and labour.
- Clinical insights from specialists in Pelvic Floor physiotherapy and Holistic Nutrition about changes during pregnancy, labour and beyond.
- Practical communication and teaching skills with detailed and clear feedback from classmates and teachers. These include student-led presentations, and teaching practice designed to build your confidence and find your most effective teaching style.
- How to access the most up to date scientific research on pregnancy, birth, and movement to deliver accurate information to your clients. Learn to develop critical thinking about pregnancy and birth.
- Develop a referral network of professionals to assist you in providing holistic and integrative treatment to pregnant women and clearly understand your scope of practice as a movement teacher.
Weekend One: April 26-28 with Nicky Poole, Jennifer Helland and Michelle Fraser (18 hours)
- Pregnancy and Birth through different cultural, social and historical lenses
- Changes to the cardiovascular, respiratory, musculoskeletal, hormonal system in pregnancy.
- Nutritional Support for pregnant women (with Jennifer Helland)
- The female pelvic floor (with Michelle Fraser)
- Exercise guidelines for pregnancy
- Adapting regular classes to pregnant students
- Sun Salutations for Pregnancy
- Modifications, enhancements, and contraindications for classical yoga postures
- Pregnancy-specific strengthening and mobility exercises
- Sequencing an effective and soulful Pre Natal yoga class
Weekend Two: May 10-12 with Nicky Poole (18 hours)
- The labour and birth process
- The post-natal period through a cross-cultural lens
- Using yoga techniques to remedy common post-natal conditions: diastasis recti, prolapse, carpal tunnel syndrome, back pain, joint pain, and post-partum mood disorders
- Core strengthening movements for post- natal period
- Sequencing post-natal classes, including parent and baby classes
- Restorative yoga, self-massage, and meditation for mothers
- Business development for the pre and post natal specialist
Homework and Case Study
- Observe 1 Parent and Baby and 1 Prenatal class with a written review (6 hours)
- Submit a 1-page book review on either Diastasis Recti by Katy Bowman or Preparing for a Gentle Birth by Blandine Calais Germain and Nuria Vives Pares (8 hours)
These homework and case studies will be marked by Nicky. A certificate of completion for 50 hours will be issued following satisfactory completion of all parts of the course. Homework and class observations are due by 4:00pm Friday, June 21.
Course Reading Material
A comprehensive manual will be provided. In addition, we ask you to read Preparing for a Gentle Birth by Blandine Calais-Germain and Nuria Vives Pares and Diastasis Recti by Katy Bowman
- Times: Friday 5:00-9:00pm; Saturday/Sunday 10:00am-6:00pm
- Cost: $800 (+HST)